Water – The Importance of Hydration

marzo 9, 2017
Why Yoga Teacher training?
marzo 9, 2017

Water – The Importance of Hydration

Why is it so important to stay hydrated?

Many are dehydrated and don’t know it. Water is the solvent in which the nutrients and wastes need to travel. This micronutrient is required in abundance for the kidneys to regulate and for the bowel to eliminate.

The body is about 25% solid matter; the other 75% is water. 85% of brain tissue and muscle is water the liver is 82% water and the bones are about 22% water. A mere 5% drop in water levels in the body causes 25 30% loss of energy. Mild dehydration can cause the metabolism to slow down by 3%. A 2% drop in fluid levels can cause fuzzy short-term memory. A 15% drop is enough to cause death!

Causes of Dehydration:

  • Under consumption
  • Diuretic medications like blood pressure meds
  • High protein and high sugar diet
  • Increased needs in pregnancy, exercise, hot climates, emotional trauma or shock, mental stress, sweating, vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Consuming excess amounts of caffeine and/or alcohol One cup of coffee takes 2 cups of water to break even on what you just lost.

How do we lose water?

Water makes up more than half of your body weight. You lose water each day when you go to the bathroom, sweat, and even when you breathe. You lose water even faster when the weather is really hot, when you are physically active, or if you have a fever. Vomiting and diarrhea can also lead to rapid water loss. If you don’t replace the water you lose, you can become dehydrated.


  • Lack of energy
  • Poor digestion, low HCI production, heartburn
  • Poor lubrication in the joints, arthritis
  • Constipation
  • Joint pain, headaches, flu-like symptoms
  • Morning sickness
  • Edema, high blood pressure
  • Renal disease, kidney stones
  • Dry skin, mucosal layers
  • Hormones, chemical messengers and nutrients do not get distributed throughout the body.
  • The liver cannot metabolize fat into usable energy
  • Histamine rations water during dehydration. Therefore, dehydration causes higher levels of histamine and lowered immunity.
  • In a dehydrated state the body uses tryptophan and tyrosine to transport wastes out. These are needed by the brain for neurotransmitters and when they are low depression results.
  • Overproduction of cholesterol is the body’s defense mechanism to protect the cells from dehydration.


You may need to increase the amount of water you are drinking if you:

  • Have certain medical conditions, such as kidney stones or bladder infection.
  • Are pregnant or breastfeeding
  • Will be outside during hot weather
  • Will be exercising
  • Have a fever
  • Have been vomiting or have diarrhea
  • Are trying to lose weight

***Ideal amount: your body weight (pounds) divided by 2 = number of ounces per day

One glass = 8 ounces

Example: 150 pounds divided by 2 = 75 ounces,

75 divided 8 = 9 glasses per day.

Don’t wait until you notice symptoms of dehydration to take action. Actively prevent dehydration by drinking plenty of water.


Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *